Members sometimes have questions about the Starwood Privilege programme. For your convenience, the following frequently asked questions and answers have been compiled. If you do not find the answer to your question, you may wish to to e-mail or phone Starwood Privilege. For more details please Contact Us.
- Where can I use the membership?
- How much does it cost to join the membership?
- How do I join the membership?
- What does 10% off Best Available Rate mean?
- What other new benefits are available with the improved Starwood Privilege programme?
- How do I use the dining card?
- What is the meaning of full published room rates, full regular room rates and rack rates?
- What is the meaning of 'subject to space availability', and 'not valid through periods of expected high hotel occupancy' ?
- Why can I sometimes access better room rates than the rates available through my accommodation certificates?
- What happens if my membership is lost or stolen?
- What is the difference between Starwood Privilege and Starwood Preferred Guest?
- What does membership cost and how does a client arrange payment?
- Where is Starwood Privilege not valid?
- How long is the membership valid?
- Can membership of Starwood Privilege be cancelled?
- How can I be recognized as a Starwood Privilege member?
- Is the Starwood Privilege card a credit card or charge card?
- Can the member use both his Starwood Privilege and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) cards at the same time?
- What if there are two members dining at the same table?
- Can I enjoy Starwood Privilege dining benefits if I only consume beverages?
- Where are the dining benefits not valid?
- Are the accommodation benefits valid for group bookings?
1. Where can I use the membership?
The following hotels and resorts accept both the membership card and the accommodation certificates - Click Here.
2. How much does it cost to join the membership?
To find out the joining fee in your home city or country please complete the Membership Application form or Contact Us.
3. How do I join the membership?
Please complete the Membership Application form. A Starwood Privilege representative from your home city or country will contact you at the earliest possible opportunity.
4. What does 10% off Best Available Rate mean?
You will be entitled to 10% off the Best Available Rate when you book through a Starwood Customer Contact Centre, the Starwood branded website or the hotel directly (applicable only in the participating hotel at time of booking). Please note that 10% off Best Available Rate is subject to availability - Full Details.
5. What other new benefits are available with the improved Starwood Privilege programme?
Additional regional accommodation benefits are also available depending on your location and signing hotel. Participating hotels may also provide 'Special Offers' to enable members to take advantage of low demand periods, or offer additional room and dining benefits or special room upgrade offers, plus health and fitness offers etc.
6. How do I use the dining card?
Dining Reservations: To make a restaurant reservation, please contact the relevant hotel and ask for restaurant reservations. Note, there is no requirement to state that you are a Starwood Privilege member. For the contact details of each restaurant please select the desired restaurant under Dining Reservations.
Dining Payment: To avail of the dining benefits, simply present the dining card to the restaurant waiting staff after reviewing the bill/check. The bill/check will be reduced according to the number of people who were dining on your table and handed back to you for payment. Also see Starwood Privilege Dining Benefits.
7. What is the meaning of full published room rates, full regular room rates and rack rates?
The full published room rates (full regular room rates or rack rates) are the maximum, published, non-discounted rates.
8. What is the meaning of 'subject to space availability', and 'not valid through periods of expected high hotel occupancy'?
The Starwood Privilege accommodation rates are subject to space availability and may not be valid through periods of high hotel occupancy, or where black-out periods may apply during peak seasons. This means that whilst every conceivable effort will be made to honour your request for a room at the Starwood Privilege accommodation rate, there will be periods (i.e. peak seasons, holiday periods, special events etc.) when it may not be possible.
9. Why can I sometimes access better room rates than the rates available through my accommodation certificates?
Occasionally (often during low occupancy periods) there will be discounted accommodation rates available which are the same or lower than the rates afforded by your accommodation certificates. In this event, it may be advisable to use the 10% off Best Available Rate and save the accommodation certificates for an alternative stay.
Note: The accommodation certificates and/or rates may not be utilised in conjunction with any discounted room rates, special promotional rates or package rates etc.
10. What happens if my membership is lost or stolen?
If your Starwood Privilege membership documents have been lost or stolen please report the incident as soon as possible so that the relevant membership number may be invalidated. Please be aware that replacement of lost or stolen memberships documents are not guaranteed.
To report a lost or stolen membership document and ascertain if you will receive a replacement, please Contact Us.
11. What is the difference between Starwood Privilege and Starwood Preferred Guest?
- Starwood Privilege and Starwood Preferred Guest are different membership programmes offering different benefits.
- Starwood Privilege rewards members with dining and accommodation discounts in participating Starwood Hotels & Resorts in the Asia-Pacific, Europe, Africa and Middle East regions.
- Starwood Preferred Guest enables members to accumulate Starpoints which can be used for a range of awards (i.e. free nights) in participating Starwood Hotels & Resorts worldwide. For more information, please see: SPG.COM.
- Although different, the benefits of Starwood Privilege and Starwood Preferred Guest work ‘hand in hand’, as such it may be advisable to enrol in both programs.
- To join Starwood Privilege, please Click Here.
- To join Starwood Preferred Guest, please Click Here.
12. What does membership cost and how does a client arrange payment?
Members pay an annual subscription fee for membership. Payment and enrolment will be carried out directly over the phone by one of our professionally trained Starwood Privilege consultants and the membership fee will be charged to the client’s credit card. Membership may also be paid by cash and cheque.
13. Where is Starwood Privilege not valid?
The Starwood Privilege membership card is not valid for room service or for banquets, nor is it accepted in the non-participating outlets.
14. How long is the membership valid?
The membership is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase. The individual expiry date of each membership is embossed on the membership card. One of the new benefits of membership is that members can now use their card as often as they want in their year of membership.
15. Can membership of Starwood Privilege be cancelled?
Membership can be cancelled with the cancellation period being two weeks from receipt of their card. The whole membership package (including all certificates) must be returned to the Program Sales Office prior to cancellation and a cancellation fee may be charged after the two week cancellation period.
16. How can I be recognized as a Starwood Privilege member?
A member is recognized when they present their personally embossed Starwood Privilege membership card with their signature on the reverse side.
17. Is the Starwood Privilege membership card transferable?
The Starwood Privilege membership card which is issued from August (Asia) or October (in Australia/Pacific) onwards is not transferable and may not be used for accommodation or for dining by someone other than the member.
18. Can the member use both his Starwood Privilege and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) cards at the same time?
Yes, the member can use his Starwood Privilege card to get his discount, and his SPG card to earn Starpoints on the remaining portion of the bill that is to be paid.
Starwood Privilege accommodation rate plans are also eligible to earn Starpoints. So when the member uses his Starwood Privilege accommodation benefits, Starpoints will be awarded for eligible charges.
19. What if there are two members dining at the same table?
Only one card per table or party is accepted, so members may dine together whenever they wish, but only one of them can use their card to obtain a benefit on the total food bill.
20. Can I enjoy Starwood Privilege dining benefits if I only consume beverages?
The benefit of the membership is that the Starwood Privilege member dines free. The discount does not apply to beverages in the restaurants. If the member is not eating, the privileges do not prevail, and no reduction should be given.
21. Where are the dining benefits not valid?
The dining benefit may not be available during special events such as Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve etc. Members should check when booking to ensure the dining benefit is available on their preferred dates. The dining benefit is not available for room service, banquets and events held in function rooms.
22. Are the accommodation benefits valid for group bookings?
This offer is limited to a maximum of 9 (nine) rooms, per booking per night; it is not valid for group bookings.